Recommendation needed --- Which software to use for Animation ?
Penang
2008-09-05 07:43:51 UTC
Hello all !

My brother likes to draw. Ever since he was a little kid, he drew
fantastic images, and all I could do was stood there drooling ... No
matter how I tried, I just can't draw.

My brother has never had any formal training, and he needed none. He
can draw any manga or any anime character with just a look.

My brother's 13th birthday is next month, and I want to get him
something that would greatly help him ... a PC with software to help
him do animation !!

I've searched the Internet for clues, and there are lots and lots of
different animation packages, from open-sourced packages to commercial
offerings ... from 2D "Flash" cartoon drawing packages to 3D (cad-
like) ray-tracing packages.

There are so many packages out there I'm lost, so I need your help.

I understand that you all gurus in the fields of manga/anime/animation
and please help !!

Please tell me which animation software package that you are using, or
which animation package you think is best, and why ....

If it is possible, I also would like to have some sort of
"comparison", either by feature, or by ease of use, or by
intuitiveness .. etc.

My budget ? I'm willing to spend up to 5K (usd) . After all, I only
have one brother ! :)

Thank you all for reading, and hope that your suggestion/opinion/
advices would help me get the perfect gift for my brother.

I, and on behalf of my brother, THANK YOU !
Richard Brooks
2008-09-05 09:47:09 UTC
Post by Penang
Hello all !
My brother likes to draw. Ever since he was a little kid, he drew
fantastic images, and all I could do was stood there drooling ... No
matter how I tried, I just can't draw.
[Looking for animation software recommendations]

You might have to just jump in and download a trial version to see
what is best for you.

I remember that there was a Disney animation package but that was a
long time ago, so I just typed 'Disney animation software' and these
came up.

http://www.digicelinc.com/pros.htm

<http://www.amazon.com/Disneys-Magic-Artist-Cartoon-Maker/dp/B00006IRI6>

For a more general look around it might be best to select '2D
animation software'.

http://www.plasticanimationpaper.dk/

Good luck in your searches.
Penang
2008-09-06 04:06:51 UTC
Post by Richard Brooks
Post by Penang
Hello all !
My brother likes to draw. Ever since he was a little kid, he drew
fantastic images, and all I could do was stood there drooling ... No
matter how I tried, I just can't draw.
[Looking for animation software recommendations]
You might have to just jump in and download a trial version to see
what is best for you.
I remember that there was a Disney animation package but that was a
long time ago, so I just typed 'Disney animation software' and these
came up.
http://www.digicelinc.com/pros.htm
<http://www.amazon.com/Disneys-Magic-Artist-Cartoon-Maker/dp/B00006IRI6>
For a more general look around it might be best to select '2D
animation software'.
http://www.plasticanimationpaper.dk/
Good luck in your searches.
Thanks a lot for your pointer !!

I will definitely look up the packages that you recommend !!

Thank you !!!
Richard Heathfield
2008-09-05 10:08:55 UTC
[Followups set to comp.graphics.animation]
Post by Penang
Hello all !
My brother likes to draw. Ever since he was a little kid, he drew
fantastic images, and all I could do was stood there drooling ... No
matter how I tried, I just can't draw.
That sounds very much like my son, now 17 - his drawing is amazing, and he
is studying animation (among other things) at college. He says:

"All the free 2D animation packages suck. Flash is expensive but very good
- it takes some getting used to, but there are probably hundreds of online
tutorials.

"If your brother wants to get into 3D, look at Blender, 3DStudio Max,
Cinema 4D, or Maya." (Apart from Blender, which is free, these are all
pretty expensive.)

He adds that drawing on a computer is way harder than drawing on paper!

<snip>
Email: -http://www. +rjh@
Patrick McNamara
2008-09-05 13:09:56 UTC
Post by Penang
Hello all !
My brother likes to draw. Ever since he was a little kid, he drew
fantastic images, and all I could do was stood there drooling ... No
matter how I tried, I just can't draw.
That sounds very much like my son, now 17 - his drawing is amazing, and he
"All the free 2D animation packages suck. Flash is expensive but very good
- it takes some getting used to, but there are probably hundreds of online
tutorials.
"If your brother wants to get into 3D, look at Blender, 3DStudio Max,
Cinema 4D, or Maya." (Apart from Blender, which is free, these are all
pretty expensive.)
He adds that drawing on a computer is way harder than drawing on paper!
Computers do seem better with 3D than with 2D, likely because 3D is more
like virtual stop motion and it's easier for the computer to work out how
something will look in a certain direction.

Since Blender is free it's well worth the download. Even if it's not enough,
it should make it easier to figure out what to look for in a paid program.
From what I can tell, almost all pro companies use in-house software for
their graphics.

You might want to look into a good scanner. That way the elements could be
scanned in then edited together using a standard picture editing program.
(Paint.NET isn't a bad free program.) Individual frames could then be
produced by laying the elements into frames which could be patched together
using a program like Windows Movie Editor (which comes built into XP) or
Camstra.
--
Patrick McNamara
E-mail: ***@gmail.com
Torrentcast: http://www.mininova.org/rss.xml?user=PodcastPing
RLP
2008-09-05 22:59:59 UTC
Post by Penang
Hello all !
My brother likes to draw. Ever since he was a little kid, he drew
fantastic images, and all I could do was stood there drooling ... No
matter how I tried, I just can't draw.
If he'd like to try 3D, DAZ Studio is free and although it's not
perfect, he can get a look for nothing. You don't even have to do all
the frames. It'll calculate intermediate positions to save you some
work.

There's better stuff out there, but as I said, it's free including
some basic figures, outfits and props. There's even software to do
sound like syncing voice to mouth etc. available.

One warning, the 3D stuff requires some pretty hefty hardware.

_______________________________
Anyone who thinks evil mutants
are only in comic books hasn't
raised any children.
Penang
2008-09-06 04:06:03 UTC
Post by Penang
Hello all !
My brother likes to draw. Ever since he was a little kid, he drew
fantastic images, and all I could do was stood there drooling ... No
matter how I tried, I just can't draw.
That sounds very much like my son, now 17 - his drawing is amazing, and he
"All the free 2D animation packages suck. Flash is expensive but very good
- it takes some getting used to, but there are probably hundreds of online
tutorials.
"If your brother wants to get into 3D, look at Blender, 3DStudio Max,
Cinema 4D, or Maya." (Apart from Blender, which is free, these are all
pretty expensive.)
He adds that drawing on a computer is way harder than drawing on paper!
<snip>
I fully understand the feeling of drawing using a mouse is like
drawing with a brick. That is why I am planning to include a digital
tablet, or a trackball, or whatever that can aid his drawing, in the
package that I'm giving him as his 13th birthday present.

If there's any professional animator here I would like to know which
apparatus you prefer in your animation projects.

Any recommendation, folks?

Thank you !
Richard Heathfield
2008-09-06 05:56:40 UTC
Penang said:

<snip>
Post by Penang
If there's any professional animator here I would like to know which
apparatus you prefer in your animation projects.
I am given to understand that the Pixar guys ("Finding Nemo", "The
Incredibles", etc) use Maya.
Email: -http://www. +rjh@
Penang
Thanks again for your info !!
S.t.A.n.L.e.E
2008-09-07 06:27:46 UTC
Post by Penang
[...]
Wacom's tablets are de facto standard in Japan.
http://www.wacom.com/index.html
Comparing to a boxset of color markers, it's not so expensive.
The tablet is pen pressure sensitive and it seems that many drawing
software including Photoshop and GIMP (of Linux) have the capability.
It needs some getting used to, though. Because you must keep watching
the monitor screen while you are moving the pen on the tablet.
Wacom Cintiq to the rescue!

http://www.turntablet.com/product.html

Laters. =)

Stan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|
Warewolf
2008-09-06 16:52:27 UTC
Post by Richard Heathfield
"If your brother wants to get into 3D, look at Blender, 3DStudio Max,
Cinema 4D, or Maya." (Apart from Blender, which is free, these are all
pretty expensive.)
Actually, the latest version of TrueSpace (along with the manual and
tutorials) is also up for grabs via the company's website.

http://www.caligari.com/

All you have to do is sign an online form, download and enjoy.

Just thought I'd mention it. ^_^'

Signed,
Warewolf
who will admit to not playing with his copy much ^_^;
SpaceGirl
2008-09-17 12:23:44 UTC
Post by Penang
Hello all !
My brother likes to draw. Ever since he was a little kid, he drew
fantastic images, and all I could do was stood there drooling ... No
matter how I tried, I just can't draw.
That sounds very much like my son, now 17 - his drawing is amazing, and he
"All the free 2D animation packages suck. Flash is expensive but very good
- it takes some getting used to, but there are probably hundreds of online
tutorials.
"If your brother wants to get into 3D, look at Blender, 3DStudio Max,
Cinema 4D, or Maya." (Apart from Blender, which is free, these are all
pretty expensive.)
He adds that drawing on a computer is way harder than drawing on paper!
<snip>
Almost nobody professionally draws in Flash, it's just way to painful! -
most use Illustrator and copy assets back into Flash.
--
x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

http://www.northleithmill.com

-.-

Kammy has a new home: http://www.bitesizedjapan.com
J***@gmail.com
2008-09-07 12:43:33 UTC
if you check out toonboom.com0 that is the software they use to make
the simpsons and family guy. for a true 2d feel on a computer go with
TVPaint that with a wacom tablet and it is just fun. I love it.
SpaceGirl
2008-09-17 12:25:26 UTC
Post by Penang
[...]
I'm not sure about Anime (digitally created), but the creative Industry
mostly uses PhotoShop and Illustrator. Neither are inexpensive, sadly :(

In our studios we don't do a lot of animation, but we work with
PhotoShop CS3 (for composition, we're upgrading to CS4 next month),
Illustrator CS3 (line art, assets for Flash CS3, smartobjects that get
pasted back into PhotoShop), Flash CS3 (interactivity, some animation,
rich internet apps), Apple FinalCut Pro (final video renders, video
editing) & Adobe AfterEffects. We also use Maya for 3D (Maya is
complicated, but really good). We're mostly Mac based. We use Wacom
graphics tablets (A4 sized).

I personally adore PhotoShop - it's just the most amazing product ever,
and I cannot wait for the new release next month or so!

(our studio produces promotional art for bands, web sites, and soon a
magazine).

You can download trials of most of this software, but I would HIGHLY
recommend NOT getting a Windows PC. Get a Mac so that you don't have to
worry about things breaking, viruses etc etc. It also stops the
temptation to fill it with computer games!

Bertmg
2008-10-24 03:08:25 UTC
Post by Penang
Hello all !
My brother likes to draw. Ever since he was a little kid, he drew
fantastic images, and all I could do was stood there drooling ... No
matter how I tried, I just can't draw.....
If he has not done any PC animation but loves to draw and he likes to
get into 3D. It makes more sense to get him started with something
simple. Blender (free), 3DStudio Max, Cinema 4D, or Maya are not only
extremely expensive, but also quite complicated to use. Your wallet
will be empty and your brother will be so frustrated he may not use
the application much. a better present would be something simple easy
to start. Carrara from Daz3d has be well known for being that low
cost middle software with professional functionality.

http://www.daz3d.com/i/software/carrara?_m=d

It is easy to learn, a great down to earth support group and
aditionally Daz has premande figures and best of all it has a free
application Daz/Studio.

No, I do not get any commision talking about this software, but I have
done lot's of research about 3D products and I used to love drawing.
This has been the only software that while I am not knowledable of
artistic software, it addresses my need to learn and create art
relatively easily
Markku Kovanen
2008-11-26 23:54:31 UTC
Hello

You should consider corel painter. It is creat program for painting and
drawing. It has some animation features too, but I have not tried to do
any animations with it. Painting tools are impressive oil and watercolor
simulation, lots of pens and brushes and lots of options for all the
tools. I prefer corel painter to photoshop for drawing and painting. It
takes quite a lot of resources if you use big brushes on high resolution
images, so you should have a powerful computer. adobe illustrator is
great for vector illustrations. Maybe you should buy adobe creative
suite and corel painter, if you are willing to spend lots of money.
Creative suite has flash, premiere, after effects, sound booth and some
other tools in addition of phothop and illustrator, so it should have
everything you need for producing animations. Wacom tablet is must for
drawing. You should go with intuos line. Intuos1 and 2 are almost as
good as intuos3 and they can be found very reasonably priced on ebay. I
use 6x8 inch sized intuos1 and I think it is just great, but maybe you
should go with bigger one, if your brother likes to draw big pictures.